It’s still winter, but I can already feel a change in the air – it’s lighter in the mornings, the air is less nippy and thank goodness we can strip off these gloves. All of this can only mean one thing – watermelon season is almost here! This is what I plan on doing when the first crops are ripe and ready to eat:
- Watermelon “popsicles!” Propping quarter slices up on popsicle sticks are not only a fun way to eat but also keeps the kiddies’ hands clean – well, cleaner than usual at least.
- Use cookie cutters to slice the watermelon flesh into fun shapes.
- Puree overripe watermelon into pulp and mix it up with lemonade for a refreshing watermelon smoothie. Alternatively pour the mixture into popsicle moulds and freeze it for a refreshing snack.
- Make a watermelon pizza by simply topping a flat watermelon slice with an assortment of other fruits, yogurt and cream, and cutting it into “pizza slices”.
- Slice the watermelon into cubes and pop it into lemonade as fruity “ice cubes”.
- Make a watermelon ‘basket’! Cut the watermelon in half and scoop out the flesh with an ice cream scoop. Place the melon balls back in the “bowl” along with other fruits.
- Instead of filling the “basket” with fruit, pour jelly into it and let it set. Then cut into slices and serve!
- Experiment with watermelon in a slightly more savoury setting, pairing it with feta in refreshing salads.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest