There’s nothing like starting your day off on a delicious and healthy note! And, who said Eggs and Soldiers are just for kids? As a big egg fan myself and an even bigger fan of tomatoes and avocado, I can honestly think of nothing more than this enticing breakfast on the days where I fancy something simple for my boys and me! The recipe really is not difficult in the least, it’s good for you and you can adjust portions very easily!
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado, cut in slices (when in season)
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
- lemon juice and black pepper to taste
- 4 slices wholewheat or brown bread, toasted
- Place eggs with 1 cup (250 ml) water in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over a medium heat.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 5-8 minutes, depending on how hard or soft you prefer the yolk to be.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes for soft yolks and 8-10 minutes for firm yolks.
- Place eggs in egg cups and serve with slices of avocado and tomato.
- Lightly season avocado, tomato and egg with the salt and pepper.
- Add a squeeze of lemon juice to the avocado, if preferred.
- Cut toast into thick strips to dunk into the egg or to spread with avocado.
- The avocado makes this dish more filling, which means you won’t need more than one slice of toast. If you prefer, you can leave out the toast and just enjoy the fresh ingredients with the egg.
- If you don’t have time for eggs, spread toast with a thin layer of low-fat cottage cheese and serve with avocado and tomatoes.
- This could also be served as a light meal with a salad.
This recipe has been brought to you courtesy of Cooking from the Heart