Today’s post is all about delighting mom and dad’s taste buds for a change! If you’re mad about Turkish delight, then perhaps it’s time to put your own twist on it and make it yourself – whether it be for your own personal treat tin or as a gift for a special friend. Here’s how:
You will need:
- Cooking spray
- 25 g powdered gelatin
- 260 ml water
- 450 g caster sugar
- 3 to 4 tsp rosewater (to taste)
- A few drops of pink or red food colouring (optional)
- 3 tbsp icing sugar + 1 tsp corn flour for dusting
To make your Turkish treats:
- Measure out the gelatine, water and rosewater and place in a large pot, mix together and then stir in the caster sugar.
- Heat the mixture slowly while stirring continuously, until the sugar and gelatine has dissolved – if you fail to do so, the delights will have a grainy almost crunchy texture.
- Once all the grains are dissolved, bring the mixture to the boil, without stirring.
- Reduce the heat and allow your Turkish delight mixture simmer for about 20 minutes before removing from the stove.
- Stir in a little bit of food colouring until the mixture turns a soft pink colour, and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- In the meantime, grease a square baking tin of about 20cm x 20cm.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and cover with a dishcloth or paper towel.
- Leave to set overnight at room temperature.
- Next morning, flip the baking tin over onto a cutting board and cut the delightful slab into squares with a sharp wet knife.
- Sift together the two dusting ingredients and roll your Turkish Delight blocks in it until well coated.
Original images and their credits available on Pinterest